The clinical knowledge assessment (CKA) is currently only being used for pharmacists wishing to transition from Part B to Part A. A knowledge assessment for all pharmacists and pharmacy technicians is currently in development.
The CKA is a case based, open-book multiple choice question examination. It represents relevant, common situations encountered in everyday pharmacy practice. The CKA cases have been written and reviewed by practicing pharmacists to ensure that they are relevant and reflect the type of cases that are seen regularly in everyday practice.
The following references will be provided to the candidates during the CKA:
Individual references provided:
- Compendium of Pharmaceuticals and Specialties (CPS
- Compendium of Therapeutic Choices
- Therapeutic Choices for Minor Ailments
Shared references provided:
- Products for Minor Ailments
- Drugs in Pregnancy and Lactation
- Pediatric Dosage Handbook
- Dorland’s Pocket Medical Dictionary
- Hansten & Horn’s Drug Interaction Analysis & Management
Candidates may bring additional references and a calculator.
The CKA is a computer-based assessment. Internet access is available on the laptops provided. Mobile devices are permitted (e.g. laptop computers, personal digital assistants etc.); however, OCP wireless internet access is not available and candidates are responsible for the independent battery power source of their computer device(s).
Preparing for the Clinical Knowledge Assessment
1. Sample Questions
Login to My Learning to access the sample questions.
- Your User Name is your OCP number
- Your Password is your date of birth in the following format MMDDYY (use numbers only). For example, if your birth date is September 14, 1980 your password would be 091480. (Note: your password can be changed once you have logged in)
- Click on Self-Assessment Tool and enter the Clinical Knowledge section. To access additional sample cases click on Previous Self-Assessments in the Tools section under the Self-Assessment Tab
2. Sample Assessment
A tutorial exam and sample exam have been created to assist you preparing for the computer-based assessment. The tutorial exam will assist you with navigation through the computer-based CKA. The sample exam provides some sample CKA cases and practice manoeuvring through the test environment. To access the online tutorial and sample exams:
- Visit the CKA Tutorial Exam and Sample Exam
- Follow the instructions to create a username and password. You may access the tutorial and sample account as often as you chose, simply return to the website and click “login” on the top menu bar.
3. Video: The Clinical Knowledge Assessment