Summary of Allegations
After a hearing held on December 9 and 10, 2015; and January 12, 13, and 19, 2016, a Panel of the Discipline Committee made findings of professional misconduct against Mr. Patel in a decision dated December 19, 2016, with respect to the following incidents:
That he prepared false documents and/or submitted false claims to the Ontario Drug Benefit Plan and/or ESI for the patient, [Patient A], regarding the following transactions:
- Novamax glucometer on or about May 19, 2011;
- Meds Check on or about June 7, 2011;
- 100 Nova Max test strips on or about December 5, 2011;
- Novamax glucometer on or about May 19, 2012; and/or
- Meds Check on or about June 7, 2012.
In particular, the Panel found that he
- failed to maintain a standard of practice of the profession;
- falsified a record relating to his practice;
- signed or issued, in his professional capacity, a document that he knew contained a false or misleading statement;
- submitted an account or charge for services that he knew was false or misleading;
- engaged in conduct or performed an act relevant to the practice of pharmacy that, having regard to all the circumstances, would reasonably be regarded by members of the profession as disgraceful, dishonourable or unprofessional.
The hearing with respect to Order will resume on January 12, 2018.