Information for Applicants

Am I supposed to do SPT or PACE?

Please see the pharmacist registration pathways and review the one that best describes you to determine if you must complete SPT or undergo PACE. The steps of each pathway are listed in sequence; information about what must be completed before you may move to the next step or requirements that may be met earlier in your registration process is provided in the pathways.

Future pharmacist applicants who may be affected by the initial implementation of PACE were directly emailed on December 19, 2016 with specific information on how they will meet the College’s practice-based assessment registration requirement.

Please review these documents before contacting the College to ask about PACE and your registration process.

Who assesses me?

Select pharmacists who meet the Assessor Criteria will be trained and appointed by the College to be PACE assessors. To ensure an objective and independent assessment, the assessor must not have any prior relationship with you.

How do I get ready for PACE?

In addition to reviewing the material on these pages of the College’s website as well as the Practice Tools and e-Learning Modules, you should view the Introduction to PACE module and work through the Candidate Tool Kit for PACE. As a final check to see if you are ready for PACE, you should complete the online Self Assessment Tool.

During PACE, you are expected to already be familiar with drug distribution processes; we highly recommend that PACE candidates work or volunteer as pharmacy students or assistants before attempting PACE. To practise as a student (i.e., full student scope under the supervision of a pharmacist) before attempting PACE, you must be currently registered as a pharmacy student with the College.

How do I find an assessor?

In the online application for PACE, you can choose the city in which you would like to complete your assessment and select a practice site address where a PACE assessor practices. To ensure an objective and independent assessment, you must choose a site at which you have not worked or volunteered, and where you have no prior relationship with the staff. If you or the assessor recognizes that you have a previously established relationship with each other, you must choose another practice site and assessor.

How will I be assessed?

Your performance will be assessed by a PACE assessor according to the PACE Assessment Criteria. At the end of the 70 hour assessment, the assessor will complete a validated assessment tool based on their observations of your performance and submit it to the College. A standardized scoring rubric will be applied to the assessor’s ratings to determine if you have successfully demonstrated your readiness to safely and independently practise as a pharmacist, or if additional development is required.

What will happen if I am not successful in my PACE attempt?

If the assessment determines that you did not demonstrate readiness for practice as a pharmacist, you will receive a performance profile that identifies the relative strengths and weaknesses in your competence. College staff will work with you to create a self-directed learning action plan to address the areas in which development is needed.

You will then need to find an appropriate practice site and coaching pharmacist to supervise and support the implementation of the plan. You are expected to engage in development until all of the goals of the plan have been fulfilled before being reassessed by a different PACE assessor at another practice site. PACE must be successfully completed to meet the College’s practice-based registration requirement.

What type of insurance do I need if I am completing PACE on an unpaid basis?

In addition to the Personal Professional Liability Insurance that is a registration requirement for all members of the College, you should arrange for your own student accident insurance (sometimes called accidental death and dismemberment or AD&D insurance). An assessor may refuse to allow you to complete PACE in their practice site if you do not have this type of insurance.

Volunteers are not covered by the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB). You may wish to check with your liability insurance provider or other insurance carriers for their products that are comparable to WSIB. The College does not endorse any particular insurance carrier.