Upon completion of this continuing education program, participants will be better able to:
- Discuss the clinical impact of herpes zoster (HZ) and its related complications on older adults;
- Describe medical management of symptoms associated HZ, postherpetic neuralgia, and HZ ophthalmicus;
- Counsel patients in managing postherpetic neuralgia;
- Identify situations such as HZ ophthalmicus, HZ in pregnancy, and possible viral transmission to unimmunized contacts;
- Identify patients who would benefit from HZ vaccination based on current evidence;
- Detail practical strategies to engage patients in the prevention of HZ.