Process for Moving from Part B to Part A

1. Notify OCP in writing of intent to move from Part B to A

2. OCP will schedule the Clinical Knowledge Assessment

3. Select one of the options for the Practice Assessment

a. Practice assessment by a College Practice Advisor at practice site (3 hours)

b. PACE assessment at PACE site (3 weeks)

c. OSCE (6 hours)

4. Notify OCP in writing of your choice for Practice Assessment

a. If selecting ‘Practice assessment by CPA at practice site’: (see section below on preparing for transition from Part B to A)

i. Select a practice site and notify OCP in writing of the name and address of the practice site, the name of an onsite Part A pharmacist who will provide supervision, and the anticipated start and finish dates for the practice preparation

ii. Obtain personal professional liability insurance, and, if required by practice site, additional WSIB equivalent insurance

iii. Review information on OCP website on criteria for practice assessments

iv. Observe the Part A pharmacist and transition to providing care and practicing under supervision according to the factsheet on Supervision of Students and Interns. The degree of oversight by the Part A pharmacist on your practice must be adjusted based on your demonstration of competence.

v. In preparation for the practice assessment, you will need to gather several examples of your engagement in patient care including new and refill prescriptions, adaptations, renewals and medication reviews. You will need to share these examples with the CPA

vi. Notify OCP when you are ready to undergo the practice assessment. OCP will schedule and inform you of the date and time for the practice assessment at your practice site, based on CPA availability.

b. If selecting PACE Assessment:

i. You are confident that you are ready for re-entry to direct patient care and practice and do not need to prepare with a Part A pharmacist

ii. OCP will assign a PACE Assessor and PACE assessment site based on your geographic location and Assessor availability. Further details on PACE is available on the OCP website.

c. If selecting OSCE

i. Apply to PEBC to take the OSCE

ii. The Pharmacist OSCE is offered twice a year, in May and November, in multiple cities across Canada. See OSCE dates and OSCE examination centres for the current year.

Preparing for transition to Part A

For the purpose of preparing for their assessment, pharmacists in Part B may work and perform controlled acts in a pharmacy under the direct supervision of a pharmacist in Part A for a period of time not to exceed two consecutive six-month periods without the approval of the Quality Assurance Committee.

In order to do so, pharmacists in Part B must notify OCP in writing of their intention, citing the name of the pharmacist under whom they will be working, the name and address of the practice site, and the anticipated start and finish dates

Once OCP has been notified, the Part B pharmacist may perform controlled acts under direct supervision of a Part A pharmacist, according to the factsheet on Supervision of Students and Interns. The Part B member should observe the Part A pharmacist in practice and transition to providing patient care under supervision as appropriate based on their level of competence. The degree of oversight on the Part B pharmacist’s practice must be adjusted based on his or her demonstration of competence. The member should be prepared to share and discuss their patient care activities as outlined in 4.a.v above.

Part B pharmacists who choose to volunteer in a pharmacy in preparation for their transition to Part A will need to obtain appropriate insurance. In addition to Personal Professional Liability Insurance, personal accident insurance (sometimes called accidental death and dismemberment or AD&D insurance) may also be required. Volunteers are not covered by the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB). Liability insurance providers or other insurance carriers may offer products that are comparable to WSIB. Pharmacy managers or PACE assessors may require these types of insurance before allowing volunteer work or an assessment. OCP does not endorse any particular insurance carrier.