For first time preceptors, please complete ONE of the following approved programs. You are required to complete all of the modules listed for the program you choose.
1. Dalhousie Faculty of Health Professions – Preceptor eLearning Course
- Module 1 – The Role of the Preceptor
- Module 3 – Feedback and Evaluation
2. University of Western Ontario – Preceptor Education Program
- Module 1 – Preparation and Orientation
- Module 3 – Developing Learning Objectives
- Module 6 – Feedback and Evaluation
These programs are currently offered at no charge by the universities. You may also find it helpful to complete one or more of the remaining unlisted modules for the program you choose, and/or to view the other program.
You are not required to complete the above preceptor training if you have completed the preceptor training for one of the following programs:
- University of Toronto, Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy – Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience (APPE) rotations
- University of Waterloo, School of Pharmacy – Fourth-year direct patient care rotations
ALL potential preceptors must also complete the Ontario College of Pharmacists modules:
- SPT for Pharmacy Technician Applicants
- SPT Preceptor Toolkit
- Legal Authority for Scope of Practice/Authorized Acts
- Code of Conduct for Assessors, Coaches, Mentors, Preceptors and Members of Working Groups
Your preceptor validity will be updated within five business days, and a confirmation email will be sent to you.
Once you are a valid OCP preceptor, your name will appear on a list that may be requested by:
- Pharmacy technician applicants searching for a SPT preceptor
- Practice Assessment of Competence at Entry (PACE) candidates searching for a volunteer practice opportunity to prepare for their assessment
- Unsuccessful PACE candidates searching for a coaching pharmacist to support their Learning Action Plan and further practice before their PACE reassessment
If you wish to have your name removed from the preceptor list sent to these applicants, please e-mail your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you wish to supervise more than one SPT pharmacy technician applicant (PTA) at a time, please e-mail email@example.com. A registration advisor will follow up with you and assess your request on a case-by-case basis.