The scope of practice and authorized acts for pharmacists are established in the Pharmacy Act.
Subject to the regulations, pharmacists can:
- Dispense, compound and sell medication
- Administer certain substances by injection or inhalation
- Renew or adapt existing prescriptions
- Prescribe medications for smoking cessation and 13 minor ailments
- Perform certain point-of-care tests and demonstrate devices for self-testing
These professional activities and services should be provided only when it is in the best interest of the patient, in accordance with the Code of Ethics, Standards of Practice, policies and guidelines of the College.
- Model Standards of Practice for Pharmacists
- Policy – Virtual Care
- Policy – Medical Directives and the Delegation of Controlled Acts
- Guideline – Initiating, Adapting and Renewing Prescriptions
- Guideline – Administering a Substance by Injection or Inhalation
- Guideline – Performing a Procedure on Tissue Below the Dermis