The College also regulates and accredits community and hospital pharmacies, holding them accountable to operational standards and relevant policies and legislation; pharmacies must be accredited by the College in order to operate in Ontario.
Vision, Mission & Values:
Vision: A trusted, collaborative leader that protects the public and drives quality and safe pharmacy care and improved patient outcomes.
Mission: The Ontario College of Pharmacists regulates pharmacy practice to serve the interests, health and well being of the public.
Values: Accountability, Integrity and Transparency
The College fulfills its mandate to protect the public by:
- Regulating the practice of pharmacy in accordance with relevant legislation and regulations
- Developing and enforcing pharmacy standards of practice, policies and guidelines and the code of ethics
- Ensuring only those applicants who have met the registration requirements are authorized to practice in Ontario
- Promoting continued competency among pharmacists and pharmacy technicians through a quality assurance program
- Ensuring only those pharmacies that have met the accreditation criteria are authorized to operate in Ontario
- Conducting routine assessments of pharmacy operations to ensure compliance with established standards and support continuous quality improvement
- Managing the complaints resolution process related to pharmacists, students, interns, pharmacy technicians and pharmacies
- Promoting patient-centred, collaborative health care that utilizes the skills and knowledge of all health-care professionals
More details about the specific objects of the College are set out in section 3 of the
Health Professions Procedural Code.
Legal Powers & Authority:
The activities of the College, which are overseen by a Board of Directors comprised of elected practitioners and government appointed public members, are subject to a number of oversight mechanisms including oversight by the Minister of Health, the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board and the Health Professions Regulatory Advisory Council.