The Niagara Apothecary is an authentic museum restoration of a 1869 pharmacy as part of a practice that operated in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, from 1820 to 1964.
The Ontario Heritage Foundation (OHF) acquired the property from the local Niagara Foundation, led its restoration, and opened it as a museum in 1971.
The Ontario College of Pharmacists accepted the responsibility to restore the professional practice aspects (to ensure the museum accurately reflects an operating pharmacy of the Confederation period). The College also agreed with the OHF to operate the Apothecary as a museum for an initial period of 35 years.
The OHF’s name was changed to the Ontario Heritage Trust in 2005, and the College continues to operate the Niagara Apothecary as part of an agreement with them.
More information can be found on the Niagara Apothecary website.