Approved: April 2011
Revised: June 2021
Reviewed: June 2022
The Structured Practical Training (SPT) Program for pharmacy technician applicants approved by Council is based on a full time model of 35 hours per week for a minimum of 12 weeks.
This policy defines the two part-time models for SPT that the Registration Committee has approved:
- ¾ time SPT model at 24 hours per week for a minimum of 18 weeks
- ½ time SPT model at 18 hours per week for a minimum of 24 weeks
The preceptor must supervise the pharmacy technician applicant for a minimum of 18 hours per week in the full-time SPT program and both part-time SPT models.
An applicant may complete the SPT program on a three-quarter or half-time basis.
An applicant who wishes to modify his or her SPT time commitments after starting training must submit a request in writing prior to changing his or her schedule. College staff will consider the request, and may request additional information, including a record or schedule of the actual training time already completed by the applicant, and the preceptor’s assessment of the applicant’s progress to date. The applicant will be notified of the decision within five to 10 business days.
SPT may be completed on a part-time basis if:
- The proposed preceptor has agreed to accommodate the part-time or revised schedule;
- The proposed schedule meets the minimum training and supervision time requirements for the selected model; and
- The SPT Preceptor Criteria and the SPT/SPE Practice Site Criteria are met.
Part-time SPT allowed
The applicant will be allowed to commence his or her SPT on a part-time basis, or to modify his or her schedule to a part-time model, and the applicant’s Training Portal file will be adjusted to reflect the relevant model.
Part-time SPT not allowed
In the case of exceptional circumstances, the applicant’s request will be referred to a panel of the Registration Committee.
College Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org