Annual Renewal for Pharmacists and Pharmacy Technicians
Each year pharmacists and pharmacy technicians must complete the annual renewal process on the College’s online services portal, which begins in late January and is due on or before March 10th of every year.
Pharmacy Accreditation Renewal
Each year the Director Liaisons or the Designated Manager appointed by the pharmacy’s Director Liaison must complete the Pharmacy Accreditation Renewal application on or before May 10th.
All pharmacists and pharmacy technicians in Ontario must be registered with the Ontario College of Pharmacists.
To become registered, applicants must demonstrate that they are qualified to hold the class of registration for which they are applying. As part of its mandate to serve and protect the public, OCP ensures that only those applicants who have successfully met the registration requirements are granted the right to practise in Ontario.
All applicants must meet a number of registration requirements before they can register with the College. These requirements are specified in the General Regulation under the Pharmacy Act, 1991 to ensure that registrants possess the required knowledge, skills and abilities to safely practice pharmacy in Ontario.
Regardless of an applicant’s pathway to registration, everyone must:
- Graduate from a recognized pharmacy education program
- Successfully complete the College’s Jurisprudence, Ethics and Professionalism exam
- Successfully complete an approved structured practical training program or the College’s Practice Assessment of Competence at Entry*
- Successfully complete the relevant Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada’s (PEBC) Qualifying Exam.
*Please see the Registration Pathways for specific eligibility and guidance on this requirement.
Applicants must also meet English or French language proficiency requirements, declare that they are of good character and obtain personal professional liability insurance.
Board resolutions and policies that have been approved by the Registration Committee further define the registration requirements, or explain how some registration requirements can be met through alternative means.
If an applicant does not meet all of the registration requirements, their application may be referred to a panel of the Registration Committee.
All registration requirements are considered to be valid or current for a specific period. Please see the Fees & Timelines pages for specific information on the validity period for each registration requirement.
Development of the registration requirements, resolutions, policies and processes are guided by the following principles:
- The College’s Registration practices are fair, transparent, objective, and impartial.
- The College processes applications in a timely manner, and without unnecessary delay.
- Decisions to register an applicant are made in the interest of public safety.
- Decisions to register an applicant are based on the applicant’s knowledge, skill, judgment and ability to practise according to the standards of the profession.
If you have questions about the registration process, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 416-962-4861 or 1-800-220-1921 ext. 3400.
Pour obtenir de l’assistance courriel du registrant applications & renewals