Continuing Education and the Quality Assurance Program
The Regulated Health Professions Act requires all regulated health professions in Ontario to have a Quality Assurance (QA) Program. The purpose of the QA Program is to assure the public that healthcare professionals are competent to provide patient care, and to contribute to individual and system-wide continuous quality improvement.
The Learning Portfolio is one component of the QA Program, requiring registrants to participate in and track their continuing professional development. Registrants are responsible for identifying their learning needs, choosing the activities to achieve their goals and applying those learnings to their practice.
More information on the QA Program and the Learning Portfolio can be found on the Quality Assurance Program webpage.
Learning Activities and Accreditation
The Ontario College of Pharmacists does not accredit learning activities. Accreditation of learning activities is provided by external organizations that establish policies and standards for continuing education to ensure a transparent and accountable process of review has occurred. For example, the Canadian Council on Continuing Education in Pharmacy (CCCEP) accredits continuing education programs in Canada and the Canadian university offices of continuing medical education (CME/CPD offices) are accredited by the Committee on Accreditation of Continuing Medical Education (CACME).
The College does not set a required number of learning activities or contact hours to be obtained each year. Rather, registrants choose activities based on their individual learning needs and goals. These activities can be chosen from accredited and/or non-accredited sources.
Continuing Education Resource Links
To ensure registrants have access to the most up-to-date external continuing education (CE) resources, direct links to specific courses are no longer maintained or posted by the College. Instead, links to CE provider websites are shared for registrants to access current CE resources and courses.
Please note the following about the continuing education links:
- Provider links focus on educators providing topics related to the pharmacy profession
- The provider list is not exhaustive and registrants can use providers not listed below, including those outside of pharmacy (e.g., medical professional education)
- Registrants can also consider activities from other jurisdictions when appropriate for their individual growth and professional development
- Continuing educational activities from these providers have not been reviewed or endorsed by the Ontario College of Pharmacists
- The Ontario College of Pharmacists does not endorse any organization, product or therapy.
Canadian Accredited Programs:
- The Canadian Council on Continuing Education in Pharmacy (CCCEP) is a national organization established to accredit continuing pharmacy education programs intended to be delivered to pharmacy professionals from more than one province or nationally. Registrants can search the CCCEP website for accredited providers, learning activities, certificate programs, learning-objective mapped as well as competency-mapped programs.
- Canadian Pharmacists Association
- Ontario Pharmacists Association
- University of Toronto, School of Continuing Studies, Continuous Professional Development
- University of Waterloo, School of Pharmacy, Professional Development
- Canadian University-based CME/CPD Providers (CACME) Canadian universities that provide continuing professional development/courses relevant to pharmacy practice. Visit the website of each institution to search their Continuing Professional Development departments/programs.
- The Canadian Council for Accreditation of Pharmacy Programs (CCAPP) Canadian universities or Canadian colleges that provide continuing professional development/courses relevant to pharmacy practice.
Canadian Providers Who May Provide Accredited and/or Non-Accredited Learning Activities:
- Canadian Association of Pharmacy Technicians (CAPT)
- Canadian College of Healthcare and Pharmaceutics
- Canadian Healthcare Network E-Cortex Learning
- Canadian Society of Hospital Pharmacists (CSHP)
- Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH)
- ECHO Programs at UHN
- HealthForce Ontario
- HIRE Internationally Educated Health Professionals (IEHPs)
- Institute for Safe Medication Practices Canada
- LP3 Network
- Pharmacists’ Gateway Canada
- Pharmacist’s Letter Canada (TRC Healthcare)
- Pharmacy Technician’s Letter Canada (TRC Healthcare)
- Teva Canada
For questions about continuing education for pharmacists and pharmacy technicians, please contact us at PDR@ocpinfo.com.