THE ROLE OF A PROFESSIONAL COMMITTEE APPOINTEE
As a PCA, you play an important role in the College’s commitment to advance the interests, health, and wellbeing of the public. As such, you also have a fiduciary duty to assert undivided loyalty and good faith in fulfilling the mandate of the College.
Committee Appointees are expected to:
- Comply with the Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate a Duty of Care which requires that appointees exercise the same care, diligence and skill that a reasonably prudent person would exercise in comparable circumstances. Duty of Care requires appointees take appropriate steps so that they can make sound, informed decisions. This duty includes:
- Being Diligent – being prepared for meetings, reviewing materials, arriving on time and participating in discussion.
- Being Civil – respecting the process and fellow committee members, paying attention (e.g., no mobile devices during the meetings), genuine listening and consideration and adopting an objective approach to decision making.
- Being Ethical – using College resources appropriately, being aware of the facts (e.g., reading the materials on a particular matter).
- Being cognizant of and declaring Conflicts of Interest (e.g. financial, adjudicative, and organizational).
- Demonstrate accountability to the public through decision making that is grounded in the public interest.
- Understand and support the respective roles and responsibilities of the Board, Committees and staff.
- Maintain constructive, collaborative and mutually respectful relations with others.
- Conduct themselves both in person and on all social media in a manner that upholds their fiduciary duty to the College, and act as an ambassador of the OCP.
- Acquire knowledge of policies and procedures, including relevant legislation, strategic directions and the Board values.
- Participate in orientation, training and education offered.
- To make decisions as a collective group and hold joint responsibility for decisions and actions taken by the Board or Committee, even in their absence.
Information about the Committees can be found here.
Candidates will be advised after the September Board meeting if they have been appointed to serve on a committee.