The College has adopted the Model Standards for Pharmacy Compounding of Non-Sterile Preparations and the accompanying guidance document. This was approved by the Board (Council) in December 2017.
The Non-Sterile Compounding Key Initiative page contains all of the College’s resources and information related to implementation of the standards, including:
- Non-Sterile Preparations Assessment Criteria
- Fillable Checklist for Phase 1, 2 and 3 Requirements
- Frequently Asked Questions on the Standards and Implementation
In recognition of the evolving COVID-19 pandemic situation and the need for pharmacy professionals to focus on continuity of care and minimizing public risk, on March 23, 2020, the Board (Council) approved an extension of the deadlines for pharmacies to meet the standards. The updated timelines for completion of each phase are:
- Phase 1: January 1, 2020 – Assessing Risks and Gaps
- Phase 2: July 1, 2021 – Personnel Training and Quality Assurance
- Phase 3: January 1, 2022 – Facilities and Equipment
Although the deadlines for Phase 2 and 3 have been extended, it is the College’s expectation that pharmacies and pharmacy professionals continue to be engaged in preparing their pharmacy for full implementation of the standards.
Please visit the Sterile Compounding Practice Tool for Standards and resources on compounding sterile preparations.