Governments at all levels are taking action to reduce and prevent an increasing number of overdose deaths related to opioids. Pharmacists and pharmacy technicians have an important role to play in safe opioid dispensing.
This practice tool contains resources that can support pharmacy professionals in understanding their responsibilities when providing care or guidance for patients who are using opioids or seeking to obtain naloxone.
Resources for Pharmacy Professionals
- Opioid Policy
- Patch for Patch Fentanyl Return Program: Fact Sheet
- Guidance for Pharmacy Professionals who are Dispensing or Selling Naloxone
Opioid Related Tools
Access tools for Risk Assessment, Morphine Equivalent Dosing, Tapering and Benzodiazepines on the External Resources page
- Centre for Effective Practice – Opioid Manager
- RxFiles – Opioid Tapering Template and Pain Management Tools
- Pharmacist’s Virtual Communication Toolkit: Engaging in Effective Conversations About Opioids
Resources for Patients and Families
- Opioid Pain Medicines – Information for Patients and Families (Institute for Safe Medication Practices)
- Opioids for Pain After Surgery: Your Questions Answers (Institute for Safe Medication Practices)
- Awareness resources for opioids (Health Canada)
- Opioids: When You Need Them – and When You Don’t (Choosing Wisely Canada)