Part-Time Completion of Structured Practical Training
Approved: April 2011
Revised: November 2016
Reviewed: November 2016
This policy defines the two part-time models for Structured Practical Training (SPT) that the Registration Committee has approved:
- ¾ time SPT model – 24 hours per week for a minimum of 18 weeks
- ½ time SPT model – 18 hours per week for a minimum of 24 weeks
The preceptor must supervise the preceptee for a minimum of 18 hours per week in the full-time SPT program and both part-time SPT models.
An applicant may complete the SPT program on a three-quarter or half-time basis.
SPT may be completed on a part-time basis if:
- The proposed preceptor has agreed to accommodate the part-time or revised schedule;
- The proposed schedule meets the minimum training and supervision time requirements for the selected model; and
- The SPT Preceptor Criteria and the SPT/SPE Practice Site Criteria are met.
Part-time SPT allowed
The applicant will be allowed to commence his or her SPT on a part-time basis, or to modify his or her schedule to a part-time model, and the preceptee’s Training Portal file will be adjusted to reflect the relevant model.
Part-time SPT not allowed
In the case of exceptional circumstances, the applicant or preceptee’s request will be referred to a panel of the Registration Committee.