Information for Preceptors
SPT Preceptor Training
For first time preceptors, please complete ONE of the following approved programs. You are required to complete all of the modules listed for the program you choose.
1. Dalhousie Faculty of Health Professions - Preceptor eLearning Course
- Module 1 – The Role of the Preceptor
- Module 3 – Feedback and Evaluation
2. University of British Columbia – E-Tips for Practice Education Course
- Module 1 - Setting the Stage
- Module 5 - Giving Feedback
- Module 6 - The Evaluation Process in Practice Education
3. University of Western Ontario – Preceptor Education Program
- Module 1 – Orientation – Welcoming the Student, Roles and Expectations
- Module 2 – Developing (Really Useful) Learning Objectives
- Module 3 – Giving and Receiving Informal Feedback
- Module 7 – The Formal Evaluation Process
These programs are currently offered at no charge by the universities. You may also find it helpful to complete one or more of the remaining modules for the program you choose, and/or to view the other programs.
You are not required to complete the above preceptor training if you have completed the preceptor training for one of the following programs:
- University of Toronto, Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy - Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience (APPE) rotations
- University of Waterloo, School of Pharmacy – Fourth-year direct patient care rotations
ALL potential preceptors must also complete the Ontario College of Pharmacists modules:
- SPT Orientation Module 1 (18 minutes)
- SPT Orientation Module 2 (25 minutes)
- Pharmacy Practice in Ontario Module* (9 minutes)
- Supervision of Pharmacy Students and Interns Fact Sheet (not applicable to pharmacy technician applicants)
*As of December15, 2016, the Pharmacy Act regulations now authorize Part A pharmacists, interns and registered pharmacy students to administer a number of listed vaccines for preventable diseases in addition to influenza (under the UIIP program). Please note this when viewing the module where it refers to the influenza vaccine.
To update your OCP SPT Preceptor validity after you have completed the above training requirements, please complete the Declaration of Preceptor Training and send the completed form to Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Fax: 416-847-8266.
Your preceptor validity will be updated within 2 business days, and a confirmation email will be sent to you.
Once you are a valid OCP preceptor, your name will appear on a list that may be requested by:
- Pharmacy technician applicants searching for a SPT preceptor
- Practice Assessment of Competence at Entry (PACE) candidates searching for a volunteer practice opportunity to prepare for their assessment
- Unsuccessful PACE candidates searching for a coaching pharmacist to support their Learning Action Plan and further practice before their PACE reassessment
If you wish to have your name removed from the preceptor list sent to these applicants, please e-mail your request to email@example.com.