All Pharmacists in Part A of the Register must:
- Complete the Self-Assessment when randomly selected to do so
- Participate in Peer Review when randomly selected to do so
Peer Review for Moving from Part B to Part A
A member may move from Part B to Part A of the Register by notifying the College, in writing, of his or her intent to do so and by successfully completing the College's Peer Review.
Peer Reviews are currently held four times yearly. Every attempt is made to ensure that a member wishing to undergo a Peer Review for the purposes of transferring from Part B to Part A is promptly scheduled into the next available administration.
Members who have not notified the College otherwise, but who seek to change their election from Part B to Part A during the annual renewal process, will be contacted by staff to confirm that a change in election is indeed being requested, and to schedule the member into the next mutually convenient Peer Review.
Preparing for Peer Review
- Pharmacists in Part B are allowed to work in a pharmacy under the direct supervision of a pharmacist in Part A for the purposes of preparing for Peer Review for a period of time not to exceed two consecutive six-month periods without the approval of the Quality Assurance Committee
- In order to do this, pharmacists in Part B must notify the College in writing of their intention, citing the name of the pharmacist under whom they will be working, the name and address of the practice site, and the anticipated start and finish dates
Enrolling & Completing Peer Review
Members are required to:
- Enroll in an upcoming Peer Review prior to commencing working under a Part A pharmacist
- Successfully complete the Peer Review
- Clinical knowledge
- Gathering information
- Patient management and follow-up
- Communication skills
- Satisfy the educational and practice requirements that may be specified by the Quality Assurance Committee
Powers of the Quality Assurance Committee to transfer from Part A to Part B
The Quality Assurance Committee has the discretion to transfer a member from Part A to Part B of the Register by the authority granted under Section 47(3) of the College's quality assurance regulation, which reads:
If a pharmacist listed in Part A fails to undergo a required practice review, the Committee may transfer the pharmacist to Part B after giving him or her a reasonable opportunity to make written submissions.
This section would apply to any member who fails to participate in either Phase I (Self-Assessment) or Phase II (Peer Review) of the Practice Review process after being randomly selected to do so. The Quality Assurance Committee would only act under the authority of this section in instances where repeated communications from the College to a member have gone unanswered. Section 47(3) gives the Quality Assurance Committee the power to transfer a member from Part A to Part B in such instances after giving him or her reasonable opportunity to make written submissions to the Quality Assurance Committee. Members must be given 14 days in which to make written representation or to request an appearance before the Quality Assurance Committee in order to make an oral submission to the Quality Assurance Committee citing reasons why they should not be transferred into Part B.